Destinations in Oman: Located in the eastern corner of the Arabian Peninsula, Oman is different from its neighbouring countries in many ways. Here you can experience beautiful nature, genuine culture and a lot of history.
Why travel to Oman?
Oman borders the United Arab Emirates to the northwest, Saudi Arabia to the west and Yemen to the southwest. It also has a long coastline facing the Arabian Sea to the east and the Gulf of Oman to the northeast. Unlike many of the neighbouring countries, there are few migrant workers here, so you'll find residents working in regular jobs around the country.
Oman also has more history than many of the neighbouring countries, and in Nizwa you can see the 17th century Nizwa Fort, with 13th century walls. The country also offers beautiful nature. There are many different travel destinations in Oman to discover. You can find tips and inspiration here.
Travel destinations in Oman - inspirational reading
Guest writer: Jonathan Gharbi de Maré Oman is one of those countries that few people know about, even if...
Info and facts about Oman
- Capital city: Nutmeg
- Residents: Around 4.5 million (2021)
- Currency: Omani rial
- Statehood: Sultanate, absolute monarchy
- National Day: 18 November
- Language: Arabic
- Religion: Islam (mainly Sunni and Ibadi)
- Flag: A red flag with a white and a green field. The flag also features the national coat of arms.
- National anthem: Nashid as-Salaam as-Sultani
Travel destinations in Oman with different records
- Highest point: Jabal al-Akhadar, 3,018 metres above sea level
- Largest city: Ash-Sib
- Biggest dust: Wadi Dayqah Dam
- Highest building: Sheraton Oman Hotel, 53 metres
Good to know about Oman
- Emergency number: 112
- Time difference: Oman is 3 hours ahead of Sweden.
- El: You will need an adapter to use Swedish contacts in Oman.
- Visa: For stays of 14 days or less, no visa is required for Swedish citizens. If you want to spend more than 14 days in the country, a visa is required. Visas are only accepted if you can show a return ticket and hotel reservation. The country also requires that your passport be valid for at least six months upon entry.
Travelling to Oman
- Flight: You can fly to Oman from Sweden with for example Lufthansa, Turkish Airlines or Qatar Airways, with a stopover.
- Charter: Apollo organises charters to Oman.