Travel destinations in Greece! Here you will find inspiration about places to visit in Greece. Do you like beautiful beaches, cosy villages, nice islands or maybe delicious Greek food? Here are our best tips for those who want to travel to Greece!
Why travel to Greece?
Greece is a Mediterranean country with a wonderful climate. Here you will find long, beautiful beaches and an archipelago full of beautiful islands. On holiday you can enjoy sunbathing and swimming, go on boat trips or try different water sports. It is also very popular to sail between the different islands.
In Greece, you'll find food made from fresh and crisp ingredients, from freshly grilled fish to delicious vegetable dishes. The people are genuinely open and happy, and it's easy to feel welcome. Last but not least, Greece is a country full of culture and history, including ancient Greek temples. Below you will find lots of articles with travel tips.
Travel destinations in Greece - inspirational reading
Today, we present a guest article by Visit Greece Peloponnese Peloponnese - where myth meets history. Monuments...
Today we present a guest article by Visit Greece Skiathos Skiathos, the most cosmopolitan island in the north of...
Today we present a guest article by Visit Greece Paxi - for a relaxed holiday Paxi (or...
We have experienced two evenings of inspiration from Greece. Or rather, Peter has experienced two...
Guest writer: Maria Karlsson Extraordinary, crazy or on the verge of Christmas chaos? Call it what you will. Here...
The best thing about Cassandra is the people and the joy. I (Peter) have not been anywhere else in...
Here we go again! I (Peter) visited the Kassandra peninsula that I wrote about yesterday...
Here is a report from Kassandra - the Greek Riviera. I (Peter) went by myself with some other...
Anita Wag Agrimanaki worked as a tour guide for Apollo in Greece in the early 90s, and while...
Ioannina is located in north-west Greece, not far from the border with Albania. We drove here today from...
We are now at the Drepanos campsite, just outside Igoumenitsa in Greece. This is a relaxed...
Last night we took the Italy - Greece ferry, from Brindisi in southern Italy to Igoumenitsa in...
Info and facts about Greece
- Capital city: Athens
- Language: Greek
- Residents: 10.7 million (2017)
- Currency: Euro
- Religion: Christianity (Greek Orthodox Church)
- Flag: Greece's flag is blue and white
- National anthem: Ymnos eis tin Eleftherian
Good to know about Greklamd
- Price mode: Cheaper than Sweden
- Time difference: +1 hour
- Emergency number: 112
- El: Like Sweden
- Water: In many places you can drink the water, but it may have a chlorine flavour. On some islands you should be careful with tap water.
- Think about: When travelling to Greece, it's a good idea to take cash with you. Credit cards do not work everywhere, especially in rural areas and on islands.
Food and drink in Greece
- Greek cuisine: Greek cuisine is a typical Mediterranean cuisine with typical ingredients such as olive oil, vegetables, bread and fish. Other ingredients common in Greek cuisine include feta cheese, yoghurt and filo pastry.
- Greek dishes: Some Greek dishes you can try in a restaurant in Greece are souvlaki (skewers), gyros (similar to kebabs), saganaki (fried cheese), moussaka (gratin with minced meat and aubergine), pastitio (pasta gratin), dolmathakia (wine dumplings), feta de meli (filo dough filled with feta cheese and honey), Greek salad (salad with feta cheese), taramasalata (fish roe mixture) and of course grilled fish and seafood.
- National dish: Moussaka, the national dish of Greece, is an oven-baked dish. The Greek moussaka consists of minced lamb or beef, sliced aubergine, sauce or egg custard and cheese.
- Tzatziki: Tzatziki is a cold garlic sauce with cucumber, which has also become very popular in Sweden.
- Oliver: Greece has a large production of olives, and the olives usually taste best in situ!
- Drinks: Ouzo is a Greek spirit drink with an aniseed flavour. The drink is sometimes mixed with water.
Accommodation in Greece
- Hotel: There are, of course, many hotels and other accommodations in Greece, and you can search on Booking.com, for example.
- Campsites: You can read more about camping on our page about campsites and pitches in Greece, where we also collect information on roads and driving.
Travelling to Greece
- Flight: You can fly to many different destinations in the country, such as Athens, Thessaloniki, Kos, Rodos and Corfu. There are both scheduled and charter flights. From 1 May TUI carbon offsets your trip- here you can read more about TUI trips to Greece.
- Car: It is also possible to travel to Greece by car. Driving from Stockholm to Athens takes about 37 hours (341 miles) if you count pure driving time.