Motorhome food - what is it? Is there any particular type of food? We tend to say that you can cook most things in your motorhome, although it depends a bit on how the kitchen is equipped.
What can be less convenient are things that require a lot of pots and pans and a large work surface (such as steak with boiled potatoes, sauce and peas). On the other hand, it's often easy to cook on the grill, in the pot, in the oven (if you have an oven) or to serve something cold and delicious.
On the grill
You can grill on a charcoal or gas grill, but note that charcoal grills are sometimes banned on campsites abroad. To ensure success with meat, chicken and fish, you may want to use a thermometer. Chicken and pork should be 65 degrees, beef 56 degrees and lamb and white fish 53 degrees. Tuna should be grilled for 30-45 seconds on each side.
- How do you grill? - Peter's best barbecue tips
- Readers' best barbecue tips
- Grill mix with halloumi, asparagus and fruit salad
- Grilled chicken thigh fillet
- Grilled tuna with apple guacamole
- Grilled seabream/dorada
In the pot/pan
It is often convenient to throw all the ingredients together in a single pan. This means less washing up and less crowding on the hob. Practical campervan dishes include a hot soup with bread, a stew with rice or a pasta sauce with pasta. Or why not some boiled mussels with bread?
- Simple Mediterranean stew/soup
- Shrimps and cauliflower in sambal oelek and garlic
- Mussels with tomato and parsley
In the oven
Some motorhomes have an oven, but not all. Having an oven makes it easy to cook or heat things like potato gratin, fish gratin or lasagne. It is also easy to bake potato wedges or make hot sandwiches. If you don't have an oven, you can buy and use an omni oven directly on the hob, which is suitable for certain oven dishes.
- Chicken all-in-one
- Lamb fillet and root vegetables
- Fish casserole - at home or in the camper van
- Filleting perch - Peter's tips and best recipes
Salads and sandwiches
It's always easy to cook things that are cold. When it's hot outside, salads, wraps and sandwiches are often delicious.
- Salad with parma ham and avocado
- Pasta salad with smoked salmon
- Chicken wraps with avocado
- Sandwiches with tuna and olives
- Scrambled salmon for breakfast sandwiches
Sometimes when you're out with your campervan, you want to go all out! What could be easier and more delicious than a small buffet table with snacks?
- Festive picnic food
- Mediterranean-inspired picnic food
- Luxury canapés for the party
- Bacon wrapped dates
- Spanish tapas
- Midsummer buffet
- Whole crab with courtier sauce