Travel destinations in Bulgaria! Here you will find inspiration for things to see and do in Bulgaria. Do you like beautiful beaches, culture or history? Here are our top tips for travelling to Bulgaria!
Why travel to Bulgaria?
We have travelled around Bulgaria with guides and got lots of tips about the country and the beautiful coastline on the Black Sea. Bulgaria has 28 regions (oblasts) and the capital Sofia is its own region.
Bulgaria was very famous in the 80s when Swedes went on cheap holidays to 'Sunny Beach' on the Black Sea and partied. Today the country has much more to offer! You can still sunbathe and swim on beautiful sandy beaches, but also experience culture, history, wine, golf and much more. Below you will find lots of articles with travel tips.
Travel destinations in Bulgaria - inspirational reading
What to do in Sofia, Bulgaria? Sofia is an interesting historical city where you...
Golf in Bulgaria, is it something you've thought about? While travelling in Bulgaria, we visited...
Cape Kaliakra juts out into the Black Sea as a long point, in the north-eastern part of the...
Baltjik is a Bulgarian town on the Black Sea that offers, among other things, a fantastic botanical...
Varna in Bulgaria is a delightful holiday city on the Black Sea, offering everything from long...
The Aladzha monastery in Bulgaria is a cave monastery where monks once lived a life of honour.
Sunny Beach in Bulgaria is a long and beautiful sandy beach on the Black Sea. Perhaps this is...
Nesebar in Bulgaria is a historic town on the Black Sea, with an old town centre that is...
Why should you travel to Bulgaria? We have just returned from a week-long trip along the...
Info and facts about Bulgaria
- Capital city: Sofia
- Language: Bulgarian
- Residents: 6.9 million (2020)
- Currency: Lev (BGN)
- Religion: Christianity (Bulgarian Orthodox Church)
- Flag: The Bulgarian flag is striped crosswise in the colours white (top), green (middle) and red (bottom).
- National anthem: Mila Rodino
Good to know about Bulgaria
- Price mode: Cheap in comparison with Sweden
- Time difference: one hour
Food and drink
- Restaurants: There are plenty of restaurants in different price ranges.
- Dishes: It is customary to start a meal with shopkeeper's salad or Greek salad. Meat dishes are often served for the main course, and fish is also common on the Black Sea.
- National dish: Kavarma, a long-cooked stew, is one of the country's national dishes.
- Drinks: Bulgaria is a wine country and you can visit different vineyards and wine producers.
- Hotel: There are plenty of hotels in different price ranges and standards. Here you can read about hotels in Sofia and in Varna.
Travelling to Bulgaria
- Flight: Charter flights used to go directly to holiday resorts and this can be resumed. You can also fly to Sofia, for example with LOT Polish Airlines.